Total Back Support + Adjustability
Comfort is not about your chair—it’s about you. We designed the Fern office chair to take its cues from you. Just like the human body, Fern has a strong, yet flexible internal spine at its core. This unique structure and an innovative suspension system give you total back support from your neck down. There’s no hard outer frame or edges to get in the way of your comfort as Fern responds to your every movement. An adjustable lumbar pad puts lower back support just where you need it. 4D arms move in any direction for easy positioning and integrated ergonomic controls create a premium sitting experience in a clean, elegant design.
Please note: This model does not include forward tilt.
VideosSee the Fern Wave Suspension System
Patented Wave Suspension for total back support from your neck down to the lumbar and pelvic regions
Recline in five different positions (including upright) with a back stop
Support your neck and shoulders with arms that adjust up/down, side to side, front to back, and pivot in and out
- Patented, edgeless back design wrapped in a lofted mesh
- Back stop easily limits recline in five different positions (including upright)
- Adjustable lumbar pad moves 4” up or down to support your lower back
- Tilt tension control lets you lean back in a supported recline position
- 4D arms adjust up and down, side to side, front to back, and pivot in and out to support your neck and shoulders
- Pneumatic seat height adjusts 16.5" to 21.5" (419mm to 546mm) vertically
- Upholstered foam seat with Alta stain repellent and protection for superior cleanability
- 3" (76mm) seat depth adjustment
- Hard casters for soft flooring surfaces
- 92% recyclable
- Covered by Haworth’s 12-year, 24/7 warranty
- Ready to go right out of the box
- BIFMA LEVEL 3 Certified, the highest level of industry environmental certification
- Meets rigorous BIFMA G1 industry standard for healthy sitting
- GREENGUARD Certified for indoor air environments
- Overall Height: 41.5"-47" (1054mm-1194mm)
- Overall Width: 29" (737mm)
- Overall Depth: 28.5" (724mm)
- Arm Height: 6.7"-11.5" (170mm-292mm)
- Seat Height: 16.5"-21.5" (419mm-546mm)
- Seat Width: 19.9" (505mm)
- Seat Depth: 15.5"-18.5" (394mm-470mm)
Customer ReviewsWrite a review
We bought the Fern chair with the adjustable lumbar support without first sitting on it. We trusted the Haworth brand because for years, we appreciated the quality and comfort of the Improv HE chair--a Haworth legacy product our office afforded a decade ago. The Fern chair is perfect for teleworking and zooming for hours from home during the pandemic. Like many others, we too needed to have a quality and comfortable task chair of our own.
I have had my Haworth chair for approximately two weeks. I've worked from my home office for over a decade. In the last two years, I've developed significant ligament issues in both elbows related to working 60 hours a week or more at a computer. I've experimented with desks of various heights, different mouse styles, various seat and lumbar cushions, and various keyboard styles. As a last resort to try to reclaim some health, I invested in a Haworth chair. It's one of only a few chairs (not drafting stools) on the market that reach a comfortable height relative to my height-adjustable desk. The multi-position armrests provide good options, and the armrest material is comfortable to the skin. The chair appears durable and the mechanisms are sound. I'd like the adjustable lumbar bar to extend another inch or so higher to account for proper placement among short (5'4") people like myself. I'd also like the seat cushion to have a bit more of a responsive feel. It's dense, which hopefully means over prolonged hours of use it won't compress prematurely. But the density can get weary and leave me longing for a more cushion-y feel to my bum. I have tried chairs from other retailers (none this expensive, though), and ultimately feel that this is a good choice for home office work.
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit this detailed review, Heather! We appreciate your feedback!
You might not want to stand up again.
If I had to gripe thus far - be careful with putting weight down on the armrests (like, if you were to prop yourself up) as they can slide forward if they're not all the way forward. It would be nice if a release mechanism was required to move them in any dimension (the lever only releases them from moving up/down, otherwise they can freely move around).
Personally I don’t own this chair but my step-moms work office is FILLED with all sorts of different chairs from Haworth and out of all of them that I sat in this one was by far the most comfiest. Pricey it may be but as people have always said you get what you pay for. So rather than settling for a mediocre office chair or one that’s a couple hundo I think it’s worth it to pay a little some more for pure comfiness!
i previously owned the Herman Miller Aeron and its so uncomfortable for me. but the fern chair is a huge upgrade! i can finally sit comfortable for 8 hours straight! i am a software developer, so i sit on the chair most of the time. the lumbar support is amazing, i have set to the lowest position and i must say, having gone through 5 different chairs, the fern is by far the best and the most supportive. i could sit upright and lounge interchangeably. i give it 4 four stars because the chair is on the firmer side. but not as firm as the aeron. just stand up every half hour to relieve the pressure and its back to comfort again. im glad i bought on a discount.
Thank you for sharing your feedback, Adam! We're glad our Fern chair has made your work day a bit more comfortable!